AMiS-50 Medical Cart Enables Mobile Clinical Workstations for a Unique Healthcare Experience
St Stephen’s Hospital Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
UnitingCare Health is one of the largest non-profit private hospital groups located in Queensland, Australia. Collectively, this group currently employs over 4,100 people. Established in October 2014 as part of UnitingCare Health, St Stephen’s Hospital in Hervey Bay is Australia's first fully integrated digital hospital. St Stephen’s Hospital is also the only non-profit private hospital service provider on the Fraser Coast, with approximately 100,000 patients treated annually. The hospitaldelivers vital medical and surgical services and a world-class model of patient care.
To demonstrate how technology can transform the healthcare experience, UnitingCare Health Group planned to develop mobile clinical workspace platforms capable of streamlining workflows with data-driven decisions and facilitating cloud-based collaborative care. To achieve this goal, a patient-specific medication dispensing solution was needed to uphold and implement the Five Rights of Medication Administration.
In 2014, UnitingCare Health partnered with Ascom, Advantech’s channel partner, to develop a Workstation on Wheels (WoW) solution for St Stephen’s Hospital. The solution comprised 45 Advantech AMiS-50 medical carts with a mixture of touch and non-touch PDC-W215 wipeable clnical screens. All the medical carts were embedded with an Intel® i7 high-performance computing platform. With the integration of Elliott Data Systems MedProx dispensary cabinets, these “AMiS MedProx” WoWs are used to support bedside medication administration to increase medication safety and eliminate potential errors.
To provide instant data access, the AMiS MedProx WoWs are integrated with the hospital’s HIS platform as well as other devices such as barcode scanners and smart card readers. Hospital staff can use these WoWs to retrieve patients’ medication information and history. Each patient is assigned a specific medication bin on the cart. These bins can be individually unlocked by touching the screen after verifying that the particular bin belongs to the patient to enhance accuracy. With this new system, patient medical records, X-rayresults, and pathology reports can be accessed remotely, providing clinicians with more convenient data access to facilitate faster and more efficient decision making. The solution developed in collaboration with Advantech and Elliott Data Systems enhances the quality of healthcare delivered by providing a fully integrated nursing station that optimizes patient care and enables mobile point-of-care.
The AMiS MedProx WoWs provided St Stephen’s Hospital with the following benefits:
- A solution specifically designed for ease of use in healthcare environments. The even weight distribution, large casters,and arched handles make the WoWs easy to steer and push on a variety of surfaces. The intuitive dashboard designa lso features an electric height adjustment motor for greater convenience and ease of use.
- The lightweight lithium iron phosphate battery offers a long operation time with a relatively short charging time.
- Embedded USB and Ethernet ports, as well as two built-in 5-dB antennas to ensure constant connectivity.
- The EN60601-1 and UL60601-1-certified cordless and fanless system design prevents the accumulation of dust for superior infection control.
- The AMiS MedProx WoWs feature a DIN rail design with over 30 optional attachments to enable flexible customization according to the demands of specific hospitals and clinical applications. Additionally,all the cart body and computer components were designed, manufactured, and integrated by Advantech to reduce integration issues and ensure fast and convenient maintenance.
In today’s healthcare environment, mobile workspaces are essential for providing both clinicians and patients with full access to data, services, and applications across locations to achieve truly seamless caregiving. Advantech’s AMiS medical cart is built for expansion and designed to evolve with our customers. By achieving clinical mobility, healthcare organizations can reach new levels of competitive performance while improving patient experiences and outcomes.