Advantech’s MIO-2361—a Pocket Sized, Slim, and Rugged 2.5” SBC—Leverages Domain Focused I/O to Enhance Dental X-ray Panel Controllers
People are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of oral health and correspondingly spending more on dental care. This growing trend has incentivized dental clinics to invest in upgrading and increasing their x-ray machines and other examination equipment. Despite being ubiquitous pieces of equipment, x-ray machines demand the acute attention of medical equipment manufactures.
This application required a compact, slim form-factor embedded SBC, capable of fitting into control panels under 25.4 cm (10 in) in size. To this end, this solution necessitated a mobile fanless low power consumption design. In addition, the device required the following interfaces and expansion capabilities off-the-shelf.
- Dual LAN
- Sufficient UARTs and GPIO
- M.2 E-key for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity expansion
- Embedded cameras mSATA for additional storage needs
Advantech’s MIO-2361 2.5-inch Pico-ITX SBC delivers LPDDR4 memory and eMMC flash; creating an excellent mobile x-ray panel controller. This slim board supports integration within 17.7 cm (7 in) enclosures to deliver superior utility and mobility when photographing patients from awkward angles.
By connecting to integrated cameras, MIO-2361 delivers video of dental operations through the control panel via HDMI to doctors in real-time. In addition, dental images and patient information are transferred through Ethernet LAN or Wi-Fi to servers instantly. Designs leveraging TPM and RFID ensure employee and patient privacy by scanning identity papers on-site.
Panel controllers require fanless computers that ease integration. The MIO-2361’s fanless, passive thermal design reduces the risk of environmental damage and supports broad operating temperatures (-40 ~ 85 °C/ -40 ~ 185 °F). In conclusion, MIO-2361’s unique combination of features and benefits make it an excellent choice for applications within x-ray panel controllers.
- Compact 2.5” Pico-ITX form factor (100 x 72 mm/3.93 x 2.83 in)
- Intel Atom® E3900 series supports wide temperature operation (-40 ~ 85 °C/-40 ~ 185 °F)
- Onboard LPDDR4-2400 4GB and eMMC up to 64GB
- Supports TPM 2.0 (for government and military applications)
- Multiple I/O including dual GbE, 16 bit GPIO, 4 x USB ports, and 2 x COM ports
- Flexible expansion via mSATA and M.2 E-key
- Dual independent displays with 48 bit LVDS and HDMI