Environmental Monitoring for Transportation Main Networking Hubs
Specifically, high temperatures in Transportation Main Networking Hubs can cause equipment to shutdown, overheat, breakdown or even catch fire. To avoid such expensive catastrophes, a Department of Transportation in the U.S. was having trouble finding a solution to combat high temperatures in its Main Networking Hubs. For this particular department, the hubs are the main interface point for local cameras, radar and speed detectors across its interstate system.
Additionally, if the room is too humid, it can lead to corrosion that damages and breaks down the equipment. In looking for a solution for environmental monitoring in the Main Networking Hubs, the department was finding most of the popular solutions were too complicated to implement and too expensive to run. Additionally, many popular solutions are cloud-based, which is not ideal for a transportation department with security and data concerns.
To solve the environmental monitoring challenge – while also keeping the solutions easy to implement and secure – the department of transportation worked with Advantech.
The Advantech environmental monitoring solution has integrated temperature and humidity monitoring, and is fully expandable in both rugged hardware and software. Utilizing the industrial WISE-4220-S231A wireless node to wirelessly measure humidity, temperature and current, a SmartStart LTE Internet of Things (IoT) Gateway is also transmitting data back to the central control room. The WISE-4220 series is an Ethernet-based wireless IoT device, integrated with IoT data acquisition, processing and publishing functions.
What is Node-RED?
The Product Solution
- WISE-4220-S231A - Wi-Fi IoT Wireless Sensor Node with Built-in Temperature and Humidity Sensor
- WISE-4012-AE4-ch - Universal Input and 2-ch Digital Output IoT Wireless I/O Module
- SmartStart BB-SL30210110-SWH - LTE Internet of Things (IoT) Gateway
- BB-JC10F50-V - 50A Clamp-on Split-core Current Transducer/Sensor
- BB-MDR-20-24 - 24W 24VDC, 1A, AC-DC Single Output DIN Power Supply, Slim Plastic Case
- BB-URMK - 19″ Universal Rackmount Kit